Mercedes-Benz trademark history
One hundred and ten years ago, Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft (DMG) and Benz & Cie. laid the foundations for one of the most valuable trademarks in the world. On 24 June 1909, DMG registered the three-pronged Mercedes star as a trademark with the German Imperial Patent Office. The “Benz” lettering enveloped by a laurel wreath followed on 6 August 1909 by what was then a competitor. In 1925, as part of the cooperation and the merger of the two companies, this turned into the signet used by Mercedes-Benz to this day – a graphical masterpiece and, at the same time, a synonym for innovation and luxury. Just how ubiquitous the sign of the brand is is shown at the Mercedes-Benz Museum with, amongst other things, a display cabinet in the Collection 4 “Gallery of Celebrities” room.